Kawartha Lakes Real Estate LibraryBuyer & Seller Information
Kawartha Lakes Real Estate: Preparing for an open house
Preparing for an open house
The sale of a home can be a stressful and busy time for any homeowner which is why it is important to work closely with your registered real estate professional if you are planning an open house.
Your best approach is to ask as many questions as possible about what you need to do to prepare as well as making sure you understand what occurs during an open house.
While not exhaustive, below are some examples of questions you might want to ask your registered salesperson*:
• Will your salesperson be present during the open house?
• Will attendees of the open house be asked for identification?
• Will all attendees be escorted throughout the home and will your salesperson limit the number of individuals in your home at any one time to ensure they are personally escorted?
• Will your salesperson check all doors, windows and other access points prior to locking your home at the end of the open house?
• Ask your salesperson for advice on whether you should allow photographs of your home to be taken by buyers or anyone else.
Kawartha Lakes Real Estate
Below are some steps you can take to prepare for an open house:
• Remove small valuables from view.
• Remove medications from all rooms in the home including your medicine cabinet.
• Keep your bills, credit card receipts, and bank statements out of view. You may want to store them with your other valuables.
• Take inventory/pictures of your property and what was stored so you will know quickly if anything is missing.
• Consider removing personal photographs that may be on display.
*For the purpose of this document, a salesperson refers to both registered salespersons and registered brokers.
This publication contains general information only, produced by the Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO)(RECO.CA) and should not be construed as legal or professional advice. For legal or professional advice specific to your real estate transaction or situation, you should seek the services of a professional.
Coldwell Banker R.M.R. Real Estate Brokerage Each Firm independently owned and operated.
Not Intended to Solicit Buyers or Sellers Currently Under Contract.